Indigenous Forestry Initiative
The next application deadline for Natural Resources Canada’s Indigenous Forestry Initiative (IFI) is Thursday, August 20, 2020. Applications received should be assessed during the month of September so that selected projects can be announced by the end of October 2020.
This program provides funding to support the contribution of Indigenous people to the economic development of the forest sector across Canada. More specifically, this funding is aimed to increase Indigenous participation in forestry-related opportunities, businesses, careers and governance.
Types of Eligible Projects
The scope of funded projects is broad and includes 3 general categories:
- Environmental stewardship;
- Forest resource use and management;
- Forest bioeconomy participation.
Projects must demonstrate their ability to stimulate economic development and increase Indigenous participation in the forest resource economy.
Examples of eligible projects include:
- Studies, plans, assessments, reviews or related activities for the identification and development of economic or business opportunities;
- Strategic, economic, financial, human resource or development planning or community-based planning for natural resource economic development;
- Creation or expansion of joint ventures, partnerships or Indigenous businesses associated with natural resource development;
- Capacity building and training in support of natural resource development projects;
- Site development, construction and commissioning of the facility, as well as start-up activities and business development.
Examples of eligible organizations include:
- Indigenous corporations, businesses, joint ventures, partnerships, associations, cooperatives and institutions, whether for-profit or not-for-profit;
- Band Councils;
- Tribal Councils;
- National and regional Indigenous organizations.
Examples of eligible expenses include:
- Professional and technical services;
- Equipment and machinery;
- Costs to become an owner of an existing business;
- Salaries, wages and benefits;
- Travel expenses;
- Planning and design costs.
The IFI provides funding for projects between April 1, 2020 and March 31, 2023. Another application deadline is expected to be announced in the winter of 2020-2021.
See also the list of projects that have already been funded by this initiative to see what is being done across Canada.
For more information and how to apply, please refer to the program’s website.